Saturday, March 2, 2019

2019 - Day 61/304 - Saturday...Katzenjammer...

I am sad. The girls have been adopted out. It is for the best. At the beginning of February, we had 21 chickens. As of last night, we were down to seven. There were all kinds of possibilities to make them a larger pen that would contain them, but that is not how they were raised. I could see no reason to let the lone grey coyote pick them off one at a time. That lone coyote knows where they were, and it would be just a matter of time before they were all gone. This way, they will have land to roam on, and a better chance than they had here. They have gone to some friends of our a mile or so away, who have lots of chickens, and have not had any coyote problems, although they know exactly which coyote is the problem. They have seen him around, and it is odd to see a coyote roaming round during the day. I am sad.

I looked at the photo I posted in the journal last night, and I have come to the conclusion that I have the ears of my great-grandfather. I never knew either of my grandfathers, but I remember my great-grandfather very well, and I would recognize those ears anywhere.

Did I mention that I am sad?

Katzenjammer -- Noun: 1. hangover. 2. distress. 3. a discordant clamor. "I drank too much that night and woke up submerged in a post-wine katzenjammer the next morning." Mac Lethal, Texts from Bennett, 2013.

Did You Know? Have you ever heard a cat wailing and felt that you could relate? Apparently some hungover German speakers once did. Katzenjammer comes from the German Katze (meaning "cat") and Jammer (meaning "distress"). English speakers borrowed the word for their hangovers (and other distressful inner states) in the 19th century and eventually applied it to outer commotion as well. The word isn't as popular in English today as it was around the mid-20th century, but its' well-known to many because of the Katzenjammer Kids, a long-running comic strip featuring the incorrigible mischievous twins, Hans and Fritz.

No comments:

Post a Comment