Tuesday, March 19, 2019

2019 - Day 78/287 - Tuesday...Slake...

It seems that, on occasion, justice can be an obstruction. I am not talking about and obstruction of justice. I do not know why this Sheriff could not have asked this guy to pull in to the parking lots (the area was THICK with parking lots), but instead, they successfully obstructed the right lane of a major
East/West thoroughfare at peak commute times. Not sure about this, but it was time consuming to say the least.

I had a choice of photos to post with this entry; tomato and pepper plants that I put in the dirt last night, or a traffic obstruction. I went with the traffic obstruction so as not to lull you all in to a false sense of serenity.

Speaking of Karma: The repair place cannot repair my windshield, it has to be replaced. The repair place puts the cost of the repair at $1957.70. My insurer tells me there general repair payment for that service is $738, take away my $500 deductible, and they will be out $238. First world problems, I understand all that, but this issue is being escalated. I will name names once it is determined who is going to come out ahead in this deal.

Slake -- Verb. 1. satisfy, quench. 2. to cause (something, such as lime) to heat and crumble by treatment with water. "But short visits didn't fully slake Fisher's desire to live in and explore other cultures." Rick Foster, The Foxboro Reporter (Massachusetts), August 24, 2017

Did You Know? Slake is no slacker when it comes to obsolete and archaic meanings. Shakespearean scholars may know that in the Bard's day slake meant "to subside or abate" ("No flood by raining slaketh..." -- The Rape of Lucrece) or "to lessen the force of" ("It could not slake mine ire, nor ease my heart" -- Henry VI, Part 3). The most erudite word enthusiasts may also be aware of earlier meanings of slake, such as "to slacken one's efforts" or "to cause to be relaxed or loose." These early meanings recall the word's Old English ancestor sleac, which not only meant "slack" but is also the source of that modern term.

No comments:

Post a Comment