Saturday, March 23, 2019

2019 - Day 82/283 - Saturday...Xenial...

The dogwoods are blooming really nicely this year. And the tank up by the road has water in it, so that made for a nice picture for this journal entry. I got the rest of the barn painted today, I was afraid I was going to have to go and get more paint. The south side of the barn was in much worse shape than the other three sides; that side gets the most sun by far. I think the paint job will go a long way in keeping that barn in good shape for another few years at least. I painted it with semi-glass, so I think that will be better than the flat finish that was on it originally and the last paint job it got. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Everybody have a seat; there is a rumor going around that we are going to get more chicks. We are going to rework the pens that we had and keep them confined to the space, no more free roaming chickens. It will mean (I think) more nutritional things, but we will have chickens again, and I am pretty excited about that! I think we will get the chicks next weekend when Mike, Jim and Bonnie are in town for a visit. We shall see!

Xenial -- Adjective. of, relating to, or constituting hospitality or relations between host and guest. Brendan excelled as a greeter for the store because his xenial manner made the customers feel right at home.

Did You Know? On May 28, 1998, 13-year-old Alex Carter stepped to the microphone at the national spelling bee. If he spelled xenial correctly, he would advance to the televised finals. According to his hometown newspaper, Alex didn't recognize xenial, so he asked what language it came from. "It was Greek," said Alex, "so I figured it would be 'xe' instead of 'ze.'" Smart kid! Just remember that xenial derives from xenios (the same thing as xenial), which in turn comes from xenos, meaning "guest" or "stranger." So while xenial may be pronounced with a \z\ sound at the beginning, it is always spelled with an x.

No comments:

Post a Comment