Thursday, March 14, 2019

2019 - Day 73/292 - Thursday...Effulgence...

So...today was another most excellent day. No bad weather, no real traffic problems (going or coming), no real challenges of any kind. Just an overall good day. I had a great time. I presented the second day (of four) for the property management class, and the learners and I all had a good time. I have begun taking the attendees that I present to on a tour of the Board offices, and if I see volunteers walking down the halls, I ask them to come in a say a few words. It really (I think) makes our member colleagues more aware of the complexities of our association, and all the various moving parts that it takes to run that big ship. I have not heard anything negative from any of the colleagues in the classes or any of the staff, and it seems like everyone enjoys it.

Effulgence -- Noun. radiant splendor. brilliance. "But Xavier's natural effulgence (surely a boon in other roles) can sometimes work against this beleaguered character's inner darkness." Nicole Serratore, The Stage, February 10, 2017

Did You Know? Apparently, English speakers first took a shine to effulgence in the 17th century; that's when the word was first used in print in our language. Effulgence derives from the Latin verb fulgere, which means "to shine." Fulgere is also the root of fulgent, a synonym of radiant that English speakers have used since the 15th century. Another related word, refulgence, is about 30 years older than effulgence. Refulgence carries a meaning similar to effulgence but sometimes goes further by implying reflectivity, as in "the refulgence of the knight's gleaming armor."

No comments:

Post a Comment