Friday, March 29, 2019

2019 - Day 88/277 - Friday...Lucubration...

Absolutely, positively, without hesitation...this is THE MOST FABULOUS men's room I have ever been to IN MY LIFE. And I have to tell you, I have visited a few men's rooms. AND, I have visited this one three or four times, and if you EVER have an opportunity to dine at the Headliner's Club in Austin, go visit the men's room. I don't care what sex you are, this is worth breaking whatever laws might be broken. I think the design of ALL urinals has a fatal flaw; you are standing there, quite vulnerable, with your back to ANYONE that might be approaching, not knowing what kind of malice they might be capable of. Bad design flaw. If there is an architect in my vast legion of journal followers, feel free to reach out (haha) to me, and I will share my vision of a much more appropriate design for urinals in a men's room, which I guarantee will not be a victim of functional obsolescence. Guaranteed!

Lucubration -- Noun. laborious or intensive study; also: the product of such study - usually used in plural. "At a moment when official Washington was casting about for a coherent response to Stalin's bellicosity, Kennan's lucubrations were almost miraculously well timed. Jacob Heilbrun, The Daily Beast, December 9, 2011

Did You Know? Imagine someone studying through the night by the light of a dim candle or lamp. That image demonstrates perfectly the most literal sense of lucubration. Our English word derives from the Latin verb lucubrare, meaning "to work by lamplight." (Yes, that Latin root is related to lux, the Latin word for "light.") In its earliest known English uses in the late 1500s and early 1600s, lucubration named both nocturnal study itself and a written product thereof. By the 1800s, the term had been broadened to refer to any intensive study (day or night) or a composition, especially a weighty one, generated as a result of such study. Nowadays, lucubration is most often used as a plural and sometimes implies pompous or stuffy scholarly writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment