Sunday, March 24, 2019

2019 - Day 83/282 - Sunday...Presentiment...

It was a lovely day in central Texas, and I am pretty sure I made the most of it. I got a days worth of chores done in half a day, and then headed off to Austin to purchase some stuff for my upcoming meetings, then went to the office for some power-real-estate, then to the Hyatt, checked in, went to a business dinner, back to the room, more power-real-estate, and now this. Temperatures in the mid-70s were really pleasant. Among other things, I got some hostas planted, some amaryllis, and a few other things (not sure what they are, but we will see what comes up). I found some bulbs that were a gift at Christmas, so those will be a surprise as well. The iris are beginning to burst forth, and the pastures are going to get fertilized later this week. Rain is expected during the coming weekend, so that will be nice.

Presentiment -- Noun. a feeling that something will or is about to happen. premonition. Pauline had a presentiment that the day would bring new opportunities, and sure enough, by the end of the day she had secured an unexpected promotion.

Did You Know? "Do you ever have presentiments, Mr. Flintwich"' 'I am not sure that I know what you mean by the term, sir,' replied that gentleman. 'Say, in this case, Mr. Flintwich, undefined anticipations of pleasure to come.' 'I can't say I'm sensible of such a sensation at present,' returned Mr. Flintwich, with the utmost gravity." Nothing sensational said here, perhaps, but Mr. Flintwich shows a sensitivity to words that, like presentiment, are related to the Latin verb sentire ("to feel"). The quote is from Charles Dickens's Little Dorrit, and the words are sensible, sensation, sensational, and sensitivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment