Saturday, March 9, 2019

2019 - Day 68/297 - Saturday...Froward...

It was a lovely summer day here on the Edge of Nowhere. Tomorrow, it is supposed to be a little bit cooler, which will count (I think) as a spring day, and that will mean that, in the last seven days, we have experienced all four seasons here in central Texas. I did a little bit of stuff outside this afternoon, nothing serious. A little of this and a little of that. The neighbors cattle were laying close to the fence, so that was a good opportunity for a photo. It seemed like I did something else worthy of reporting to you, but whatever it was, it has slipped my mind. Tomorrow I am thinking of going to Georgetown to see if I can find any hostas for the shady side of the house. I am thinking that, since the chickens are no longer in residence, some planting like those might have a better chance of growing. You never know.

Froward -- Adjective: habitually disposed to disobedience and opposition. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the person I had once known to be a sassy, froward adolescent boy had grown up to become an upstanding young man.

Did You Know? In the days of Middle English, froward and toward were opposites. Froward meant "moving or facing away from something or someone"; toward meant "moving or facing in the direction of something or someone." (The suffix -ward, is from the Old English -weard, meaning "moving, tending, facing.") Froward also meant "difficult to deal with, perverse"; toward meant "willing, compliant, obliging." Each went its own way in the end: froward lost its "away from" sense as long ago as the 16th century and the "willing" sense of toward disappeared in the 18th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment