Sunday, March 10, 2019

2019 - Day 69/296 - Sunday...Gormless.

There is a new boy on the Edge of Nowhere. We're gonna name him Spot. Looks to be solid black with one spot (and just a spot, really) on his forehead. He's probably about a week old and seems to be pretty healthy. His mama is a small longhorn named Violet. Violet has always been a good mama, and she is really small for a longhorn, but all is well.

I am grumbling about the time change. I am not a fan of Daylight Saving Time. I think I (maybe) used to be kind of fond of it, but that was before I started going to bed at 8:30, and now it is still daylight outside in the summer and I am snoozing.

I got a few things done around the house today. Cut some grass, cleaned and started three fountains, got the trash out to the road, went to Homo Depot and bought some paint. I am going to paint the front barn, it really needs it. I got paint that has a primer in it as well, so I hope that will be a good long lasting paint. It had better be. They don't make stuff like they used to Martha!

Gormless -- Adjective: lacking intelligence. stupid. The gormless sound engineer couldn't figure out how to work the new mixing board, so the production was sloppy.

Did you Know? Gormless began life as the English dialect word gaumless, which was altered to the modern spelling when it expanded into wider use in the late 19th century. The origins of gaumless are easy to understand; the word derives from a combination of the dialect noun gaum, meaning "attention" or "understanding," and the suffix -less. Gaum also functions as a verb in some dialects, where it means "to pay attention to" and "to understand." An unrelated verb gaum means "to behave in a stupid or awkward manner." There's also a noun gaum, meaning "a stupid doltish person."

No comments:

Post a Comment