Sunday, November 3, 2019

2019 - Day 307/58 - Sunday...Sciential...

I looked around and found nothing really interesting to take a picture of. I am giving up on the using the word 'image' for the pictures I include with the journal entries. Too much trouble, I have to consciously think about writing 'image' instead of photo, photograph, or picture. It is difficult to say 'I took this image at...,' so to hell with it. Pictures, photo or photograph it is. My head also hurts sometimes from having to decide about Oxford commas, too. Maybe I will (usually I will), and maybe I won't. You will just have to figure it out for yourselves. But I digress. I found no interesting images to regale you with for this journal entry, so I went back in my camera roll to November 3, 2018, and took advantage of this photo. Me, Melinda and Steve in Boston getting ready to do a REALTOR® Relief Run (walk), in the rain and in the cold. Melinda and I took a short-cut to the finish line, but don't tell anyone!

Sciential -- Adjective. 1. relating to or producing knowledge or science. 2. having efficient knowledge. capable. Of the value of having a library at hand for a liberal education, Coleridge wrote: "There is no way of arriving at any sciential end but by finding it at every step."

Did You Know? You might expect sciential, which derives from the Latin scientia (meaning "knowledge"), to be used mostly in technical writing; however, sciential has long been a favorite of playwrights and poets. It appears in the works of Ben Johnson, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and John Keats, among others. Keats made particularly lyrical use of it in his narrative poem "Lamia," which depicts a doomed love affair between the Greek sorceress Lamia and a mortal named Lycius. In the poem, Hermes transforms Lamia from a serpent into a beautiful woman, "not one hour old, yet of sciential brain."

No comments:

Post a Comment