Monday, November 11, 2019

2019 - Day 315/50 - Monday...Verdant...

Rumor has it it is 16 degrees in Denver. I am sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight from here to Austin. Rumors say it is snowing in Georgetown. Now the weather cast says it is supposed to go down to 29 degrees overnight in Austin, so I guess when I get home at 1:30 in the morning, I will be going out and turning off the water to the cattle trough. I am unsure as to whether or not it will really get cold enough long enough to cause damage, but I won't take any chances. Oh crap. I finished up my last meeting just before noon (SFO time) and headed off to the airport. I waited a couple hours there, and now I am waiting to get on the plane to Austin. This photo is of the BOD meeting this morning. I am NOT a director this year, but I will be next year, so I just wanted to get some procedural experience before I am official.

Verdant -- Adjective. 1a. green in tint or color. b. green with growing plants. 2. unripe in experience or judgment. green. "Her favorite part of the room was the expansive window looking out over a verdant landscape of hills and distant mountains." SDNews.com (San Diego), March 9, 2015

Did You Know? English speakers have been using verdant as a ripe synonym of green since the late 16th century, and as a descriptive term for inexperienced or naive people since the 1820s. (By contrast, the more experienced green has colored our language since well before the 12th century and was first applied to inexperienced people in the 1540s.) Verdant is derived from the Old French word for "green," vert, which in turn is from the Latin virere, meaning "to be green." Today, vert is used in English as a word for green forest vegetation and the heraldic color green. Another descendant of virere is the adjective virescent, meaning "beginning to be green."

No comments:

Post a Comment