Friday, November 1, 2019

2019 - Day 305/60 - Friday...Didactic...

It is kind of disappointing (to me) that I (apparently) do nothing during the day time (lately) that seems to be worthy (to me) of documenting (image wise) for use in this journal (the Seinfeld Blog). So, I have decided (almost as an afterthought) to try my best (I hope you appreciate it) to see how many times (don't start counting yet) I can use parentheses (()) in one (you can count that) paragraph of this journal (the Seinfeld Blog). So far I am up to twelve (I told you no counting), or maybe thirteen (stop it). Crap, now it is fourteen (but who's counting), and I hope you like the image of the night sky (it is kind of dark on the Edge of Nowhere), that does not properly show the moon (it is a crescent moon) to its full advantage. Enjoy (please). You can count now.

Didactic -- Adjective. 1. designed or intended to teach. 2. making moral observations. "In this way, Kames believed the law, meaning not just legal rules but their enforcement as well, served a powerful didactic purpose." Arthur Herman, How the Scots Invented the Modern World, 2001

Did You Know? Didaktikos is a Greek word meaning "apt at teaching." It comes from didaskein, meaning "to teach." Something didactic does just that; teaches or instructs. Didactic conveyed that neutral meaning when it was first borrowed in the 17th century, and still does; a didactic piece of writing is one that is meant to be instructive as well as artistic. Didactic now sometimes has negative connotations, too, however. Something didactic is often overburdened with instruction to the point of being dull. Or it might be pompously instructive or moralistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment