Thursday, October 31, 2019

2019 - Day 304/61 - Thursday...Noisome...

Let's talk about wrecks. It has been a long time since I bored you with the traffic congestion issues that plague this part of central Texas. In Texas, I-35 is really IH-35, the IH stands for Interregional Highway. Nobody really uses the IH thing, but that is the official moniker. IH-35 goes (I would say non-stop but that is not accurate) from Mexico to Canada. One big, long congested Road. Always under construction, obsolete before the work even starts. This afternoon, I was headed northbound, and there was a wreck on the southbound side. ALL southbound lanes were closed. I wanted to count the number of emergency vehicles on the scene (north and south bound), but that would have meant I would have to take off my shoes and socks. There were lots of them. I counted five vehicles involved, and parts of at least one of them crossed the concrete barriers and landed in the northbound side. It was slow-going, but I finally made it. AND I made a lot of phone calls along the way. Checked my F
acebook messages, Twitter feeds, sent a couple e-mails...you know, the usual stuff.

Noisome -- Adjective. 1. noxious, harmful 2a. offensive to the senses and especially to the sense of smell. b. highly obnoxious or objectionable. "As the light sank into the noisome depths, there came a shriek which chilled Adam's blood." Bram Stoker, The Lair of the White Worm, 1911

Did You Know? Noisome sounds like it might be a synonym of noisy , but it's not. Something noisome is disgusting, offensive, or harmful, often in its smell. Noisome comes not from noise but from the Middle English word noysome, which has the same meaning as noisome. The noy of noysome means "annoy" and comes from the Anglo-French anoi, which also means "annoy." As you may have already guessed, the English words annoy and annoyance are also related to noisome.

No comments:

Post a Comment