Monday, October 28, 2019

2019 - Day 301/64 - Monday...Goldbrick...

I don't think this is necessarily a statement that we are an impatient society...running things together...black Friday sales in July, Christmas before Halloween. Nothing like that. I think this guy is adorned perpetually at the Shoal Creek Saloon. He most likely gets a good washing every time Shoal Creek floods, which is about an every-four-year-thing. I assume they have it down to a science, clearing out stuff that could be damaged and tying (is the the proper spelling) down all the stuff that could float away.But they do put on a really good lunch. Today I met a friend of mine and one of his friends to talk some shop stuff, and I had a small fried shrimp plate. I generally (okay, this is the second time I have been there) have the pork chop, but it is a HUGE meal. I went the first time in search of a good pork chop, and this was the place to go for that. I was not disappointed. I saw another friend of mine there while I was having lunch, and that is always fun. Seventy four degrees in central Texas last time I paid attention, and there is a possibility of a freeze overnight Wednesday and Thursday. What to do with all the pot plants? It's a puzzlement...

Goldbrick -- Noun. 1a. a worthless brick that looks like gold. b. something that appears valuable but is actually worthless. 2. a person who shirks assigned work. "[Rita] Braver asked, 'Were you in the military-were you as big a goof-off and goldbrick as Beetle Bailey?'" CBS News.com, November 15, 2105

Did You Know? "The gold brick swindle is an old one but it crops up constantly," states an 1881 National Police Gazette article referring to the con artist's practice of passing off bricks made of base metal as gold. By the time World War I was under way, the word goldbrick was associated with another sort of trickery. The sense of the word meaning "shirker" originated in the slang of the United States Army, where it referred to a soldier who feigned illness or injury in order to get out of work or service. That sense has since expanded in usage to refer to any person who avoids or tries to get our of his or her assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment