Friday, October 4, 2019

2019 - Day 277/88 - Friday...Solecism...

I will be delighted to turn in for the night tonight and wake up tomorrow morning. Not there was anything particularly wrong with this day, I just felt anxious most of the day, and I don't like feeling that way. perhaps my meds need to be adjusted or something. Maybe I need to double up on the baby aspirin, not sure. But, the real problem today, in my opinion, was caused by the traffic. Wrecks all over, aggressive drivers making me become aggressive. It is enough to make a person anxious. BUT, it is almost over, and tomorrow will be another day. I have chores to get accomplished tomorrow, and naps to take. I did have a chance to get the truck inspected this afternoon, and then got the truck AND the trailer registered for new tags. I beat all the old guys in Georgetown at their own game! I expect they will be lined up black-socks-and-bermuda-shorts deep at the inspection place, but I will not be there!

Solecism -- Noun. 1. an ungrammatical combination of words, also, a minor blunder in speech. 2. something deviating from the accepted order. "For that matter, it's equally common to clean up quotes from native speakers, which is why the quotes you read...aren't filled with tics and solecisms." Tom Ley, Deadspin, May 6, 2016

Did You Know? The city of Soloi had a reputation for bad grammar. Located in Cilicia, an ancient coastal nation in Asia Minor, it was populated by Athenian colonists called soloikos (literally "inhabitant of Soloi"). According to historians, the colonists of Soloi allowed their native Athenian Greek to be corrupted, and they fell to using words incorrectly. As a result, soloikos gained a new meaning: "speaking incorrectly." The Greeks used that sense as the basis of soloikismos, meaning "an ungrammatical combination of words." That root in turn gave rise to the Latin soloecismus, the direct ancestor of the English word solecism. Nowadays, solecism can refer to social blunders as well as sloppy syntax.

No comments:

Post a Comment