Thursday, October 10, 2019

2019 - Day 283/82 - Thursday...Aggrandize...

Well, I hardly know where to begin. This was a truly incredible day. I could go on and on about the penultimate day of the TREPAC Orientation/BOLC, and that was all great, but the icing on the cake for this day was a recital at Bates Recital Hall on the UT campus, featuring Greg Anderson and Elizabeth Joy Roe, aka Anderson & Roe, Piano Duo. Look them up, it is totally worth the effort. I have always been attracted to piano, and it is the only real disappointment of my childhood. But, it is what it is. I haven't been to any live performances lately, and I want to thank my friend Jo Ann from Houston for accompanying me. It was great...

Aggrandize -- Verb, 1. to increase or enlarge. 2. to enhance the power, wealth, position, or reputation of. Looking at my resume, Keith said I shouldn't be afraid to aggrandize my skills and experience instead of selling myself short.

Did You Know? Aggrandize has enhanced the English vocabulary since the early 17th century. English speakers adapted agrandiss-, the stem of the French verb agrandir, to form aggrandize and later used the French form agrandissement as the basis of the noun aggrandizement. (The root of agrandiss- is Latin; it comes from grandis, meaning "great.") Nowadays, both noun and verb are regularly paired with the prefix self- to refer to individuals bent on glorifying themselves, as in the following sentence by Catherine Texier that appeared in The New York Times in 2007: "In spite of a tendency to self-aggrandize, calling attention to his own talent as a publisher, art director and writer...Picano has assembled a tremendously entertaining collection of anecdotes."

No comments:

Post a Comment