Saturday, October 5, 2019

2019 - Day 278/87 - Saturday...Extricate...

It was a quiet day on the Edge of Nowhere. We did set a record high temperature today, 97 degrees. The old record was set in 1925. Today was the hottest October 5th in almost 100 years. Something is going on with the weather, and I am not the smartest man in the world, so somebody had better get this figured out. Somehow, I have thrown my back out, not sure how, I just did. SO, I am creeping around like a REALLY old guy, and that makes for two old guys in one house. Nothing happy about that, I can tell you for sure. PLUS, someone hacked me and is sending messages to people I know asking them to go to a convenience store and buy gift cards. I hope nobody falls for that. Enjoy this image of the sunset this evening.

Extricate -- Verb. 1. to distinguish from a related thing. 2. to free or remove from an entanglement or difficulty. After making too many commitments, Dennis had to use tact to extricate himself from his promise to volunteer at the charity fundraiser.

Did You Know? It can take an ample amount of dexterity-manual, verbal, or mental-to free yourself from a tangled situation. This can be seen in extricate, a word derived from the Latin extricatus, which combines the prefix ex- ("out of") with the noun tricae, meaning "trifles or perplexities." (The resemblance of tricae to our word trick is no illusion; it's an ancestor.) While a number of words (such as disentangle) share with extricate the meaning of "to free from difficulty," extricate suggests the act of doing so with care and ingenuity, as in "With careful budgeting, she was able to extricate herself from her financial burdens."

No comments:

Post a Comment