Friday, November 8, 2019

2019 - Day 312/53 - Friday...Vouchsafe...

Another long day, and it is just before 8:30 here in San Francisco, and I am the life of the party. Of course, the party is attended by no one, and I am getting ready to go to sleep. I am just a ball of fire, if indeed the fire is sputtering out, and about to turn in to just a bunch of ashes. My first meeting was at 7:30 this morning, and I finished my last one at about 6 o'clock this evening. PAC meetings, Diversity stuff, Property Management stuff and then a quick reception. Done for the day, but it is going to be another early day in the morning.

Vouchsafe -- Verb. 1a. to grant or furnish often in a gracious or condescending manner. b. to give by way of reply. 2. to grant as a privilege or special favor. When we asked why Benny, our usual mechanic, wasn't around, his coworker at the garage would only vouchsafe that Benny wasn't working there anymore.

Did You Know? Shakespeare fans are well acquainted with vouchsafe. The word was borrowed with its present meaning from Anglo-French in the 14th century, pops up fairly frequently in the Bard's work-60 times, to be exact. "Vouchsafe me your picture for my love," beseeches Proteus of Silvia in The Two Gentlemen of Verona. "Vouchsafe me raiment, bed, and food," King Lear begs his daughter Regan. But you needn't turn to Shakespeare to find vouchsafe. Today's writers also find it to be a perfectly useful word for disclosing something (such as information) in confidence or allowing something to pass with reservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment