Wednesday, November 27, 2019

2019 - Day 331/34 - Wednesday...Intemperate...

I am having a hard time remembering that today is Wednesday. I had an appointment to get my car serviced (the result of a low speed impact [2 miles per hour] on MoPac a couple weeks ago. It caused the radar stuff in the car to go wacky, and a warning light on the dash would NOT QUIT! So, I arranged to have it fixed. It was (all things considered) a cheap fix by the dealer. The worst part of it was taking the time to get it done. I ran a couple errands before dropping the car off, and I had no real expectations that I would get the car back today. My overall errands included three (yes, count them, three) trips to Costco, twice to the office, one listing appointment, one visit to a property to remove signs and lock box, a visit to Upper Crust and I think that is it. When I was headed home, I stopped at the dealer and they said they could 'probably' have my car ready in about an hour if I wanted to wait. Of course I wanted to wait. Bottom line, I got my car back, everything is working, and I don't have to go back and forth with an empty car. I now have regained access to ink pens and the ability to open the garage door without getting out of the car. Life is good.

Happy Thanksgiving Eve...

Intemperate -- Adjective. 1. not moderate of mild. severe. 2. lacking or showing lack of restraint. 3. given to use of alcoholic beverages. After the student's long and intemperate rant, the teacher told the class that any more such disruptions would not be tolerated.

Did You Know? Intemperate means more or less "not well tempered"-and that definition also provides a clue about its origins. The word derives from the Latin intemperatus, formed by combining in- with a form of the verb temperare, meaning "to temper" or "to mix." Both intemperate and its antonym temperate entered the English language in the 14th century. Other temperare words include distemper, temperment, temperature, temperance, and temper itself. Synonyms in intemperate in the sense of "not controlled" include unbounded, unbridled, unrestrained, and unchecked.

No comments:

Post a Comment