Thursday, August 1, 2019

2019 - Day 213/152 - Thursday...Abulia...

Tell me what it is that concerns you the most about this picture: 1). Cars to the left of me, cars to the right. B). I have travelled 4.8 miles in 28 minutes. 3). It is 109 degrees on the car thermometer. D). It is 4:38 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon. Statistically, Thursday afternoon in central Texas is the worst traffic day. If that is the case, I would like to know (statistically speaking), what is the best traffic afternoon in central Texas, and weekends do not count. I have said it before and I will say it again, central Texas (and Austin specifically), is on the brink of becoming inconvenient. We may has tipped over the edge while I was sleeping, but I am not really ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Here is an extra paragraph, being quoted from yesterdays edition of the Bartlett Tribune Progress (Serving Central Texas since 1866). This quote is attributed to The Bartlett Philosopher, who shares his knowledge with us in every (weekly) edition. "I WOULD LIKE to ask those persons opening a new business to please stay in business long enough for me to mention it in the paper. It is somewhat embarrassing to say something nice about a new business in the paper and have the business close before the paper comes out. Also, it is always helpful for businesses to put up a sign so people will know you are running a business and not just squatting in a vacant building". I can't argue with that.

Abulia -- Noun. abnormal lack of ability to act or to make decisions. "Abulia is a motivational deficit that is associated with apathy, loss of will, and lack of intimidating behaviors." Handbook of the Neuroscience of Language, 2008

Did You Know? "I must have a prodigious quantity of mind," Mark Twain once wrote. "It takes me as much as a week, sometimes, to make it up." The indecision Twain laments is fairly common; only when the inability to make decisions reaches an abnormal level does it have an uncommon name; Abulia. The English term we use today comes from a New Latin word that combines the prefix a-, meaning "without," with the Greek word boute, meaning "will." Abulia can refer to the kind of generalized indecision that makes it impossible to choose what flavor ice cream you want, though it was created to name a severe psychological disorder that can render a person nearly inert.

No comments:

Post a Comment