Wednesday, August 21, 2019

2019 - Day 233/132 - Wednesday...Cabal...

Again, not a bad day. Not as good (or as much fun) as yesterday, but a good day. I had a couple meetings in the office this morning, got some good news about a couple agreements we had been working on, got the car washed (kind of an exercise in futility, but whatev...), went to a 3:30 appointment that had been rescheduled weeks ago. I had made note of the new date, but I had failed to remove the first scheduled date. I do that occasionally; I show up for a meeting and there is nobody there. What if they gave a meeting and nobody came? I know the answer. SO...since I had some time, I stopped by the Tesla Service Center to follow up on some service issues that I have been waiting on getting scheduled...and I was successful. That makes a minimum of three successes I enjoyed today, and I will take it. Interestingly, the Tesla Service Center here has a 'fast lane' and a 'ludicrous lane' for service. It will be interesting to see which one I get put into.

Cabal -- Noun. 1. the artifices and intrigues of a group of persons secretly united in a plot (as to overturn a government); also: a group engaged in such artifices and intrigues. 2. club, group. "A 'cabal' of wealthy conservatives has begun using New York State's campaign finance laws to sway local elections." Michael Gormley, Newsday (New York), August 24, 2016

Did You Know? In A Child's History of England, Charles Dickens associates the word cabal with a group of five ministers in the government of England's King Charles II. The initial letters of the names or titles of those men (Clifford, Arlington, Buckingham, Ashley and Lauderdale) spell cabal, and Dickens dubbed them the "Cabal Ministry." These five men were widely regarded as invidious, secretive plotters and their activities may have encouraged English speakers to associate cabal with high-level government intrigue. But their names are not the source of the word cabal, which was in use decades before Charles II ascended the throne. The term can be traced back through French to cabbala, the Medieval Latin name for the Kabbalah, a traditional system of esoteric Jewish mysticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment