Friday, August 30, 2019

2019 - Day 242/123 - Friday...Scurrilous...

I was in Marble Falls on Tuesday (as noted in that entry), and before I went inside to the event, I walked around their River Walk for a few minutes. It is hot as hell in Texas right now, and I only stayed outside for a few minutes, but it was long enough to enjoy the river for a little bit, and document this image of the evening. Right now, sitting in the home office, I am plotting and planning on the watering schedule for the three day weekend. I have a whole extra day to get it done, so I might just take it slowly. Probably not. I do want to go in to Taylor tomorrow morning and get some molasses buckets and salt blocks for the cattle. And some gas in the gas cans. And I have a sudden craving for a moisture meter, so I may need to make a stop at Harbor Freight. Then take some hay to the cattle, then clean the chicken coop. Then a little bit of this and a little bit of that, with a generously proportioned nap worked in to the mix as well. It looks like there is a hurricane headed to Florida and other parts of the southeast. Mikey had a trip planned to visit friends in Louisville, so he is out of harms way, but I expect he is feeling kind of helpless and not in charge. I cannot stand that feeling.

Scurrilous -- Adjective. 1a. using or given to coarse language. b. vulgar and evil. 2. containing obscenities, abuse, or slander. The op-ed article generated a number of scurrilous comments on the newspaper's website that had to be deleted by a moderator.

Did You Know? Scurrilous (and its much rarer relation scurrile, which has the same meaning) comes from the Middle French scurrile. The Middle French word, in turn, comes from the Latin scurrilis, from scurra, which means "buffoon" or "jester." Fittingly, 18th-century lexicographer Samuel Johnson defined scurrilous as "using such language as only the license [sic] of a buffoon could warrant." Qualities traditionally associated with buffoonery-vulgarity, irreverence, and indecorousness-are qualities often invoked by the word scurrilous. Unlike the words of a jester, however, "scurrilous" language of the present day more often intends to seriously harm or slander than to produce a few laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment