Friday, August 2, 2019

2019 - Day 214/151 - Friday...Sobriquet...

Well, I have to admit, this is NOT something you will see on a regular basis; Evans in the attic pretending to be an HVAC service tech. Last weekend, I noticed there was some water staining on the ceiling in the den, and I went up into the attic to see if there was an active leak. I could not find anything, so I decided it had been something that happened a while back and corrected itself. We did have some strong rain earlier in the year, and I assumed that was the problem. However, while I was up there, I just about knocked myself out on an unfortunately place 2x12 (2x16? who knows...), and if you have seen me this week, that was the cause of the six inch scab across my forehead...but I digress... This evening when I got home, I noticed that it looked like the staining was getting worse. I got the step stool out, and the spot was indeed wet. So, back up in the attic I went. I found the origin of the leak, and called out HVAC guy, who will be out tomorrow to make it all better. In the meantime, after dinner, I wondered if I should turn off the AC in that part of the house (the answer is 'of course you should'), but instead, I went back up into the attic (it is effing hot up there, too), and put a tupperware tray under the spot to see if that will keep it from causing any more damage. It can't hurt, and as long as I was going back into unchartered territory, I might as well take the opportunity to document the happening for this journal entry. Ta-da! The other alternative was a picture of a wreck on the Interstate, and I already bore you with plenty of those.

Sobriquet -- Noun. a descriptive name of epithet: nickname. "There was none more powerful a performer than Harvey Phillips, a man whose love for the instrument earned him the sobriquet Mr. Tuba." John Tolley, Big Ten Network, September 2, 2017

Did You Know? This synonym of nickname has the same meaning in Modern French as it does in English. In Middle French, however, its earlier incarnation soubriquet referred to both a nickname and a tap under the chin. Centuries later, the connection between these two meanings isn't clear, but what is clear is that the "nickname" meaning of sobriquet was well established in French by the time English speakers borrowed the term in the mid-17th century-and it was the only meaning that was adopted. In current english, the spelling sobriquet is most common, but soubriquet is an accepted variant.

No comments:

Post a Comment