Tuesday, August 27, 2019

2019 - Day 239/126 - Tuesday...Bardolater...

Lots of opinions were shared, and lots of definitions were offered, but the winner is...(drum roll)...IMAGE! Yes, no longer will I refer to documentations as photos or pictures, IMAGE is the way to go forward. The vote was not even close, since I was the sole vote caster and deciding vote. It is my journal, so I get to call the shots. IMAGE it is. And, with that newfound clarity, I hope you like the IMAGE that I am offering with this entry. I went to the Highland Lakes Association of REALTORS® this evening, to attend their Election Social and TREPAC fundraising auction. Honest to goodness, I had a blast, and I am pretty sure everyone there had a great time. Oh the stories he could tell... But that is for another time. The day started early with breakfast with one of our local Congressmen, Lloyd Doggett. Then it was on to the office, where I managed to dig a hole (accidentally, I swear) even deeper for myself (see yesterday's entry), then off to a meeting at ABoR and then off to Highland Lakes. It is way past my bedtime, so I will sign off for now. And it is only Tuesday...I am ready for the three-day Holiday Weekend. I wonder what I will be able to screw up?

Bardolater -- Noun. a person who idolizes Shakespeare. As a bardolater, Jonathan had entire scenes from Hamlet, King Lear, and Twelfth Night committed to memory.

Did You Know? George Bernard Shaw once described a Shakespeare play as "stagy trash." Another time, Shaw said he's like to dig Shakespeare from the grave and throw stones at him. Shaw could be equally scathing toward Shakespeare's adoring fans. He called them "foolish Bardolaters," wrote of "Bardolatrous" ignoramuses, and called blind Shakespeare worship "Bardolatry." Oddly enough, Shaw didn't despise Shakespeare or his work (on the contrary, he was, by his own admission, an admirer), but he disdained those who placed the man beyond reproach. The word bardolater, which Shaw coined by blending Shakespeare's epithet-"the Bard"-with an affix that calls to mind idolater, has stuck with us to this day, though it has lost some of its original critical sting.

No comments:

Post a Comment