Tuesday, August 20, 2019

2019 - Day 232/133 - Tuesday...Copacetic...

On the way home this afternoon, I did a couple errands, and one of them was to get my drivers license renewed. It does not expire for another four months, but I don't want to wait until the last minute. Plus, I figured there would not be too many people in line at that time of the afternoon. And who knew there is a DPS office on Westinghouse Road in Georgetown? Not this guy, that's for sure. Anyway, I got there, got checked in (I was number 3058), filled out the form, and waited my turn. Less that ten minutes later, my number was called, and I explained to the guy processing the paper work that today was his lucky day. And...we only had to retake the picture once. And...I told him that I thought my vision had improved, and that I no longer needed that restriction on my license. And...I passed the eye test, no restrictions anymore on my license. I have kept my glasses in the car for the last couple years, but I have not been wearing them, and I have not been taking them along with my when I go out of town. My opinion is, if there is something on the power point that I really need to see, they can e-mail me a copy. And...I went and had my eyes examined a couple weeks ago, and they confirmed that my vision had actually improved according to the prescription in my most recent pair of glasses. SO...now I have a license valid through December of 2025. Oh my heavens...

Copacetic -- Adjective. very satisfactory. "In terms of living standards we're now back to where we started which while not making us entirely copacetic is at least better than not having recovered as yet." Tim Worstall, Forbes, August 8, s
2016

Did You Know? Theories about the origin of copacetic abound, but the facts about the word's history are scant: It appears to have arisen in African American slang in the southern United States, possibly as early as the 1880s. Beyond that, we have only speculation. One theory is that the term is descended from the Hebrew kol be sedher (or kol b'seder or chol b'seder), meaning "everything is in order." Other theories trace copacetic to the Creole coupestique ("able to be coped with"), Italian cappo sotto (literally "head under," figuratively "okay"), or Chinook jargon copacete ("everything's all right"). Another theory attributes the word to Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, who used copacetic frequently and believed himself to be the coiner, but anecdotal recollections of the word's use predate his lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment