Monday, September 2, 2019

2019 - Day 245/120 - Monday...Cogent...

If you can enlarge the image, see if you can count the buzzards on this power tower. I have a number, but let's just see how many others come up with the same number. We saw these buzzards when we were taking the girls for their ride this morning. I did a little bit of office work in the home office this morning, and then headed off to the real office to get a few things done. On the way home, I did a little bit of shoe shopping, but nothing really struck my fancy, and what I saw and went to find specifically, did not live up (in person) to the advertisements I had seen previously. Oh well, I have plenty of shoes, so I expect I will survive. Otherwise, I did very little of anything today. I am trying to think of something industrious that I got accomplished, but I am at a loss...

Cogent -- Adjective. 1. having power to compel or constrain. 2a. appealing forcibly to the mind or reason. b. pertinent, relevant. Ms. Johnson's presentation to the board offered a cogent analysis of the challenges currently facing our organization.

 Did You Know? "Trained, knowledgeable agents make cogent suggestions...that make sense to customers." It makes sense to include that comment from the president of direct marketing consulting company because it provides such a nice opportunity to point out the etymological relationship between the words cogent and agent. Agent derives from the Latin verb agere, which means "to drive," "to lead," or "to act." Adding the prefix co- to agere gave Latin cogere, a word that literally means "to drive together"; that ancient term ultimately gave English cogent. Something that is cogent figuratively pulls together thoughts and ideas, and the cogency of an argument depends on the driving intellectual force behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment