Tuesday, September 24, 2019

2019 - Day 267/98 - Tuesday...Soporific...

I did nothing to document the day image-wise, so I went to the googles and asked Mrs. Google to display public domain pictures for today. I scrolled through hundred of images and settled on this one. It has something to do with Psychology Today, but that should not lead anyone of my loyal readers to believe that I am any more crazy today than I am on any other given day. For some reason, this image 'spoke' to me...not like the voices some of you hear that no one else does, it just appealed to me. Whatever. It has been a long day, and now it is over, and soon I will have some celery and hummus, and all will be right (again) with the world!

Soporific -- Adjective. 1a. causing or tending to cause sleep. b. tending to dull awareness or alertness. 2. of, relating to, or marked by sleepiness or lethargy. "The prose sparkles at every turn, but that's not to say it's without flaws. Some entire chapters...struck me as wholly soporific." Andrew Ervin, The Washington Post, September 13, 2016

Did You Know? "It is said that the effect of eating too much lettuce is 'soporific.' I have never felt sleepy after eating lettuces; but then I an not a rabbit." In The Tale of Flopsy Bunnies by Beatrix Potter, the children of Benjamin Bunny were very nearly done in by Mr. McGregor because they ate soporific lettuces that put them into a deep sleep. Their near fate can help you recall the history of soporific. The term traces to the Latin noun sopor, which means "deep sleep." That root is related to somnus, the Latin word for sleep and the name of the Roman god of sleep. French speakers used sopor as the basis of soporifique, which was probably the model for the English soporific.

No comments:

Post a Comment