Wednesday, September 4, 2019

2019 - Day 247/118 - Wednesday...Irrefragable...

This bastard! Sometime between 11 and midnight last night, the keypad on the security system started beeping. Nothing shrill, just a "hey, you need to pay attention to me" kind of a beep. I eventually got up, reset the keypad, and looked at the couch. It was beckoning to me. We have some of those battery operated candles on either end of the couch, and in my sleep-aid induced state, I can clearly remember that it looked like a funeral home, so I decided to lay down on the couch instead of going back to bed. I woke up a few hours later (it was around 2:30 a.m.), because I was cold, and decided to go back and get in the bed. I was not in the bed two minutes before THIS BASTARD started beeping. It was not close to the bedroom, and I could cover my ears with the pillow and ignore it (not really, but kind of). Whenever I moved, I could hear it beeping. Then I would start to count to see how far apart the beeps were. Thirty seconds. Sometimes I would make it to 36 or 37, but I am pretty sure the beeps were thirty seconds apart. I finally got up about 4:30, discovered where THIS BASTARD was exac
tly, and waited for Jody to get up so I could change the battery. There have been no further beeps reported during the day, and I intend to sleep tonight. I hope.

Irrefragable -- Adjective. 1. impossible to refute. 2. impossible to break or alter. "It is an irrefragable truth that each human life has its special needs and unique giftedness." Ramnath Subramanian, El Paso Times, June 2, 2011

Did You Know? Since at least 1533, irrefragable has been used as an English adjective modifying things (such as arguments or date) that are impossible to refute. It derives from the Late Latin adjective irrefragabilis (of approximately the same meaning), which is itself derived from the Latin verb refragari, meaning "to oppose or resist." Irrefragable rather quickly developed a second sense referring to things (such as rules, laws, and even objects) that cannot be broken or changed. There was once also a third sense that applied to inflexible or obstinate people.

No comments:

Post a Comment