Friday, September 20, 2019

2019 - Day 263/102 - Friday...Aleatory...

If you thought lunch was good, you should have hung around for dessert! I am pretty sure that, after the first wax job, I would not want another one, so I am guessing there is a catch there somewhere. Probably like a gym membership, first month free, then it is $24.95 a month for the rest of your life, and you never went back after the first three visits. No thanks. I am also kind of sure that there is not enough wax in this storefront to do the job on me. Just sayin'. And how many people do you think walk out of Mandola's after a giant Italian lunch or dinner and think, 'Yeah, I've been meaning to have a wax job, I'll just roll in there and check that off my list!' Probably not happening, but just in case you need more information, let me know and I will direct you to the place.

Aleatory -- Adjective. 1. depending on an uncertain event or contingency as to both profit and loss. 2. relating to luck or chance. "This writing technique is aleatory...What's produced as a result of the technique is completely random." Brian Burlage, The Michigan Daily, July 30, 2014

Did You Know? If you are the gambling type, then chances are good you've come across aleatory in your travels. Deriving from the Latin noun alea, which refers to a kind of dice game, aleatory was first used in English in the late 17th century to describe things that are dependent on uncertain odds, much like a roll of the dice. The term now describes things that occur by sheer chance or accident, such as the unlucky bounce of a golf shot or the unusual shape of an ink blot. Going a bit further, the term aleatoric music, or chance music, describes music in which certain aspects of the composition or performance are determined by chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment