Friday, September 13, 2019

2019 - Day 256/109 - Friday...Inoculate...

The war continues. The war of the toilet paper. It is an ongoing thing, every time I stay in a hotel. I am old. I am not a contortionist, nor am I a member of a traveling road show of Cirque du Soleil. I am just old. I cannot twist and turn myself to reach the toilet paper while attending to other personal details in a seated position. The placements of the toilet paper rolls, in an effort to save space (or maybe there is some other reason), makes it impractical for me to leave the toilet paper in its assigned space in the hotel bath room. Therefore, I remove the paper from the roller, and make it more convenient to my reach by placing it atop the roller. See image attached. And every time I do that, the room attendant believes it is his or her job to replace it to the inconvenient place that is prescribed in the room attendant manual. It is me against them. And I will win this war.

Inoculate -- Verb. 1. to introduce something into; especially to introduce a serum or antibody into (an organism) to treat or prevent a disease. 2. to protect as if by inoculation. "Introducing children to wine at dinner does not acclimate them to alcohol nor inoculate them against alcoholism." Jennifer Michaels, The Recorder (Greenfield, MA), September 21, 2017

Did You Know? If you think you see a connection between inoculate and ocular ("of or relating to the eye"), you are not wrong-but both words look back to oculus, the Latin word for "eye." But what does the eye have to do with inoculation? The answer lies in the original use of inoculate in Middle English: "to insert a bud in a plant." Latin oculus was sometimes applied to things that were seen to resemble eyes, and one such thing was the but of a plant. Inoculate was later applied to other forms of engrafting or implanting, including the introduction of vaccines as a preventative against disease. Evans note: That is not the way I would have spelled it.

No comments:

Post a Comment