Thursday, September 26, 2019

2019 - Day 269/96 - Thursday...Bower...

I have done my part to end the drought in central Texas. I took the car to the car wash this afternoon. So far, it has not produced the expected results. Rats. I am at a loss. I also went to Costco this afternoon, just for the usual monthly things. I think I will go back tomorrow to see if there was anything I missed. While sitting at the breakfast room table this evening, Barney came to have a drink. Not only are Joel and I victims of our habits, so is Barney. Even the chickens have their habits. They know that when I go out there during the afternoons, there is going to be something good for them to eat. Carrots, meal worms, various chicken treats. The hummingbirds grace us with their presence, too. They are really interesting to watch. Life is good (but dry) on the Edge of Nowhere.

Bower -- Noun. 1. an attractive dwelling or retreat. 2. a lady's private apartment in a medieval hall or castle. 3. a shelter made with tree boughs or vines twined together. arbor. At the edge of the garden there is a vine-clad bower that looks over an expanse of lawn that slopes down toward the pond.

Did You Know? Bower derives from the Old English bur, meaning "dwelling," and was originally used to describe attractive homes or retreats, especially rustic cottages. In the Middle Ages, bower came to refer to a lady's personal hideaway within a medieval castle or hall-that is, her private apartment. Today's "arbor" sense combines the pastoral beauty of a rustic retreat with the privacy of a personal apartment. Although its tranquil modern meaning belies it, bower is related to the far more bustling bowery, the name of a high-rise district in New York City. The Bowery got its name from a Dutch term, bouwerij, for a dwelling or farm. Bouwerij is ultimately derived from the Dutch verb bouwen, which like the Old English bur is akin to the Old High German buan, meaning "to dwell."

No comments:

Post a Comment