Tuesday, September 10, 2019

2019 - Day 253/112 - Tuesday...Scilicet...

I left the house this morning at 6:45, and I was late for my class that started at 8:30. Not terribly late, just a few minutes, but I was LATE. I don't like being late, but during the long frustrating ride to go less that 45 miles, I had plenty of opportunities to document wrecks and no wrecks, just a bunch of stoopid people on the interstate. I was going to share one of those images with you in this journal post, but something came up. Or more correctly (is that proper), something came down. RAIN. We got rain here on the edge of nowhere. The first measurable rain since August 4th. And on August 4th, we received 0.04" of rain. Hardly enough. So far, we have recorded 0.90" of rain in the gauge, and there are still a few little dribbles falling now and than. Hopefully, there will be some additions in the gauge when I empty it tomorrow. In the meantime, I will not need to be watering for the next day or two, at least!

Scilicet -- Adverb. to wit, namely. "Their objection-they claimed-was to the parcelling out of the top state jobs among the political (scilicet: the other political) parties." The Economist, January 13, 1979

Did You Know? Scilicet is a rare word (duh) that most often occurs in legal proceedings and instruments. It is from the Latin scire ("to know") and licet ("it is permitted"), which is also a root of videlicet-a synonym of scilicet. Licet in turn, descends from the Latin verb licere, which means "to be permited" and is the ultimate source of the English word leisure and license. Scire has also made other contributions to English, giving us such words as conscience, conscious, and science.

No comments:

Post a Comment