Thursday, September 5, 2019

2019 - Day 248/117 - Thursday...Persiflage...

Just to be clear, if the PVC pipes from the pool 'disengage,' there is a pretty damn good chance that the water level in the pool will suffer. Oddly, for the first time in a LONG time, I worked from home today. It was a really productive day, and the commute did not suck. Today was the regular day for the pool service guy, and he was here with no issues. There was a valve (coupling?) that connects the Polaris to the wall of the pool that needed to be replaced. He replaced it. About an hour later, there was another guy from the pool service here; I did not go outside to see what he was doing (I was working), Jody was taking a nap and if I went outside, that would have aroused the suspicions of the girl dogs, and they would have fended off all aggressive pool service people with their loud defense of the property. So I ignored him. A couple hours later, I was sitting at the breakfast room table, and notices that the pool was gasping for life. I went outside, and the water level had dropped about seven inches. I turned everything off and that was when I found the PVC pipe had come unglued. It must have been having a really bad day. Anyway, the pool guys came back out but not before I had to leave to go to Bryan-College Station for a TREPAC event. Bottom line, all is well, expect another extraordinary water bill, and it is time for me to retire for the evening!

Persiflage -- Noun. frivolous bantering talk: light raillery. Since the final round ended sooner than expected, the quiz show host engaged in persiflage with the contestants until it was time to sign off.

Did You Know? Unwanted persiflage on television might provoke an impatient audience to hiss or boo-and from an etymological standpoint, no other reaction could be more appropriate. English speakers picked up persiflage from French in the 18th century. Its ancestor is the French verb persifler, which means "to banter" and was formed from the prefix per-, meaning "thoroughly," plus siffler, meaning "to whistle, hiss, or boo." Siffler in turn derived from the Latin verb sibilare, meaning "to whistle or hiss." By the way, sibilare is also the source of sibilant, a word linguists us to describe sounds like those made by s and sh in sash. That Latin root also underlies the verb sibilate, meaning "to hiss" or "to pronounce with or utter an initial sibilant." Good grief...

1 comment:

  1. I like this post,And I guess that they having fun to read this post,they shall take a good site to make a information,thanks for sharing it to me. cat paw pipe

    ReplyDelete