Saturday, September 14, 2019

2019 - Day 257/108 - Saturday...Saxicolous...

Another busy day, but at the end of the day, I think this image puts things clearly into perspective. We work really hard as volunteer servants, BUT, at the end of it, we try to play really hard too. I doubt we could really play as hard as we work, but by the time we get a chance to play, we are really appreciative for the opportunity to release. And so...we play. There are any number of images I could attach to this journal entry, including a few of me falling off a mechanical bull, but there are some things you cannot 'un-see,' and I think something like that would qualify. Another half day of meetings, and then I will be heading back home and back to what it is I do when I am not volunteering and doing things for my profession that i really love.

Saxicolous -- Adjective. inhabiting or growing among rocks. "The white-ankled mouse is a saxicolous (rock-loving) species that favors limestone slopes.: Terry Maxwell, San Angelo Standard-Times, July 24, 2016

Did You Know? Saxicolous is not exactly a word that rolls off the tongue, but it's a useful designation for botanists and zoologists. The word is from Latin, naturally. Saxum is Latin for "rock," and -colous (meaning "living or growing in or on") traces back to the Latin-cola, meaning "inhabitant." Other -colous offspring include arenicolous ("living, burrowing, or growing in sand"), cavernicolous ("inhabiting caves"), and nidicolous ("living in a nest" or "sharing the nest of another kind of animal"). All these words were coined in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to describe the flora and fauna of our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment