Sunday, September 8, 2019

2019 - Day 251/114 - Sunday...Dicker...

As much as I was a slacker yesterday, I was not one today. I did not even get a nap until 4 o'clock this afternoon. I did all the around the house stuff, cleaned the chicken coop, took hay to the cattle (even though they did not really need hay). BUT, we have hay and only nine head of cattle, so I treated them. I had to go in to the office this afternoon, and Jody went with me. On the way home, we stopped at Burger King for one of the Impossible Whoppers. I have to say, Madison Avenue did not let me down this time, as far as I am concerned, it was really good, and Jody liked his, too. The fries actually had a potato taste to them, too, and Jody said they were creamy. The chickens liked those that we had leftover, too. So, that is about it for today, I am ready for the new week to get me all backed up with too much to do in one day.

Dicker -- Verb. to bargain. We dickered over the price of the house for a few days before finally settling on an offer that they would accept.

Did You Know? Etymologists aren't exactly sure of the origins of the verb dicker. It probably arose from the bartering of animal hides on the American frontier. The basis of that theory is founded on the noun dicker, which in English can refer to a quantity of ten hides. That word is derived from decuria, the Latin word for a bundle of ten hides, and ultimately from the Latin decem, meaning "ten." In ancient Rome, a decuria became a unit of bartering. The word entered Middle English as dyker and eventually evolved to dicker. It has been posited that the verb emerged from the bargaining between traders over dickers of hides, but not all etymologists are sold on that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment