Friday, July 5, 2019

2019 - Day 186/179 - Friday...Haggard...

I did make it in to the office this morning. Joe and Carolyn went with me, it had been a pretty good while since they had been to downtown Austin, and it has mightily changed since their last visit. I got a couple of things done in the office and then it was back home and nap time. I did absolutely nothing around the house today, try as I might, I really cannot think of a single productive thing I did. I did wash the breakfast dishes, that is about the extent of it. Another nap and a little bit of floating in the pool. We headed in to Walburg for dinner tonight, at the German Restaurant. I am totally miserable after having eaten way, WAY too much. But it was good! Jody and Carolyn had the salmon; I have never seen such a large piece of salmon before, and it looked delicious. Joe Mac and I had the buffet. Yum. Tomorrow it might be a trip in to the feed store in Taylor, then a couple things around the house. Wish me luck.

Haggard -- Adjective. 1. of a hawk. not tamed. 2a. wild in appearance. b. having a worn or emaciated appearance. gaunt. The Depression-era photograph captures a group of migrant workers, their faces drawn and haggard.

Did You Know? Haggard comes from falconry, the sport of hunting with a trained bird of prey. The birds used in falconry were not bred in captivity until very recently. Traditionally, falconers trained wild birds that were either taken from the nest when quite young or trapped as adults. A bird trapped as an adult is termed a haggard, from the Middle French hagard. Such a bird is notoriously wild and difficult to train, and it wasn't long before haggard was being applied in an extended way to a wild and intractable person. Next, the word came to express the way the human face looks when a person is exhausted, anxious, or terrified. Today, the most common meaning of haggard is "gaunt" or "worn."

No comments:

Post a Comment