Wednesday, July 17, 2019

2019 - Day 198/167 - Wednesday...Cabotage...

Just to be clear...I want everyone to know that I DID NOT download the FaceApp app. I doubt that it would have really made any difference anyway, because I am pretty sure that I lead such an interesting life that the Russians have been tracking my every movement for a couple decades. I know the FBI has a file on me, as do General Motors, American Express and the Universal Life Church, where just today I was told I could buy a custom made hassock to go with my other credentials as a bought and paid for, card-carrying preacher. Yes, it is true, I CAN indeed marry 'em and bury 'em. SO...if suddenly your electronic assistant starts talking to you in a foreign dialect,
look somewhere else, because it is NOT my fault. If your GPS directs you to take a left at the Bering Straits instead of heading you to the All-You-Can-Eat Chinese Buffet, it is not my fault. This is what I will claim responsibility for: posting this photo that FaceApp says I will look like in forty or fifty years. They got the bags under the eyes right, and I apologize in advance if this turns out to be something you cannot 'un-see', and does in fact keep you awake at night. My advice: Go take a pill.

Cabotage--Noun. 1. trade or transport in coastal waters or airspace or between two points within a country. 2. the right to engage in coastal trade or transport. "U.S. cabotage law forbids foreign carriers from transporting passengers and cargo between two U.S. airports." Gaynot Dumat-ol Daleno, Pacific Daily News (Hagenta, Guam), May 12, 2015

Did You Know? Coastlines were once so important to the French that they came up with a verb to name the act of sailing along a coast: caboter. That verb gave rise to the French noun cabotage, which named trade or transport along a coast. In the 16th century, the French legally limited their lucrative coastal trade, declaring that only French ships could trade in French ports. They called the right to conduct such trading cabotage too. Other nations soon embraced both the concept of trade restrictions and the French name for trading rights, and expanded the idea to inland trade as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment