Sunday, July 28, 2019

2019 - Day 209/156 - Sunday...Ad Hoc...

By the end of this day, evening, night, whatever...I will have gotten everything watered. Just a few more areas, then the iris beds around the storm shelter to go. I am of the opinion that you should not water things during the heat of the day, unless those areas are in the shade. SO...I either have to start really early (which would interfere with my morning naps), or in the late afternoon into the evenings. BUT, it will all be done by this evening (9:30 or so by my best estimate), and then much of it will start over again on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am please though, that this is the first that we have had to water this season. Last year, the watering was much more intense, but I kind of think I am back in to the swing of it, and I have the tempo and the sprinkler series figured out once again. Today was another day of planting and transplanting. I am pretty proud of all that, and I will remain proud of that until the first threat of frost later this year, when I am schlepping plants all over creation, trying to keep them from freezing. Whatever... This is a quick pic of a fresh orchid Jody picked up at Home Depot yesterday. Jody is pretty lucky with orchids, so we will see if this one continues to bloom for him.

Ad Hoc -- Adjective. 1. concerned with or formed for a particular purpose. 2. improvised. The city council appointed an ad hoc committee to evaluate the need for traffic lights at the intersection.

Did You Know? In Latin, ad hoc literally means "for this." That historical meaning is clearly reflected in contemporary English used of ad hoc-anything that is ad hoc can be thought of as existing "for this purpose only." For example, an "ad hoc committee" is generally of limited scope, authorized to look into a single matter. Ad hoc can also be used as an adverb meaning "for the case at hand apart from other applications," as in "a commission created ad hoc." The adverb has been used in English since the mid-17th century. The adjective has been used since 1879.

No comments:

Post a Comment