Thursday, July 25, 2019

2019 - Day 206/159 - Thursday...Trichologist...

I admit it, today was a pretty long day, comparatively speaking. Up earlier than usual to make sure I could get in to Austin in time for a 9 a.m. class. Then back to the office. A couple hours of power real estate, then a drive to New Braunfels for the Four Rivers Association of REALTORS Celebrity Waiter TREPAC Fundraiser. And yes, I know I failed to put the registration mark next to the copyrighted word in the previous sentence. I know that, shut up! Then back to Austin, where I am staying tonight. And of course, Austin is a synonym for 'traffic.' I could have made it to my overnight destination, but this happened. Of course it did. And...I cannot upload the pic file right now. I will try and edit this tomorrow with another computer. Good night.

Trichologist -- Noun. a person who specializes in hair and scalp care; broadly. a person whose occupation is the dressing of hair; hairdresser. "A trichologist...gave him the once-over to determine that his mane is indeed that healthy, lush--and real." Maria Sciullo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, September 1, 2010

Did You Know? Although you can accurately call the person who cuts your hair your trichologist if you want to, the term is usually applied, as it is in the example sentence, to someone who studies and treats hear and scalp ailments. The trich- in trichologist is from the Greek stem of thrix, which means "hair." This root makes an appearance in a number of other similarly technical-sounding words, such as trichiasis ("a turning inward of the eyelashes ofter causing irritation of the eyball"), trichome ("an epidermal hair structure on a plant"), and trichotillomania ("an abnormal desire to pull out one's hair").

No comments:

Post a Comment