Sunday, July 21, 2019

2019 - Day 202/163 - Sunday...Scumble...

Today was a really good day. It combined spending money and doing chores, and getting some stuff done that I
had been wanting to do for a long time. I have gone to at least five different places looking for some big flower pots to put out at the pool. I had convinced myself that I wanted the Mexican import terra cotta flower pots that are really colorful. I stopped at an import place several weeks ago on my way home from Bastrop, and I saw some that would have worked, but I was not prepared to pay the price they were asking, and there was no one around to bargain with. On to the fifth or sixth place today, and I finally settled on these pots from Home Depot. They are plastic, but I don't really think they look plastic. I got potting soil, some plants and got them planted, and I think they look really nice, and I am really happy with them. Combine that with the other things that I got accomplished today, and it turned out to be a really excellent day!

Scumble -- Verb. 1. to make a painting less brilliant with a thin coat of color. 2. to soften the lines or colors of (a drawing) by rubbing lightly. "She would stride to the easel and...scumble over half the picture with a neutral color." Marcia Burtt, The Santa Barbara Independent, February 23, 2012

Did You Know? The history of scumble is blurry, but the word is thought to be related to the verb scum, an obsolete form of skim (meaning "to pass lightly over"). Scumbling, as first perfected by artists such as Titian, involves passing dry, opaque coats of oil paint over a tinted background to create subtle tones and shadows. Although the painting technique dates to the 16th century, use of word scumble is only known to have begun in the late 18th century. The more generalized "smudge" or "smear" sense appeared even later, in the mid-1800s.

No comments:

Post a Comment