Saturday, July 27, 2019

2019 - Day 208/157 - Saturday...King's Ransom...

As is the norm on a Saturday, I spent most of the day napping. Well, two or three hours to be more clear. Afterwards, I got a bunch of plants re-potted (they were terribly root-bound), and Jody and I went in to Georgetown for a teeny bit of shopping and then lunch. At the moment, I am on a 15 minute rotation watering the beds around the house. I expect I will get the front and the dog yard done this evening, and I will get the garage side and the back stuff done tomorrow. This is the first time this year we have had to water the beds, and there is not a chance of rain in the seven-day forecast. I expect I will be watering the beds twice a week now for a while. It could be worse. The girls went to the beautiful parlor on Wednesday, and they look much better. The little piglet girl is like a little kid with a new dress; she just cannot wait to do something that gets her all dirty.

King's Ransom -- Noun. a very large sum of money. James has always wanted a car of that particular year and model, but the current owner is asking a king's ransom for it.

Did You Know? During the Middle Ages, kings were worth their weight in gold-and more. If a king was captured in battle or was kidnapped, the people holding him would demand a ransom. After the Third Crusade in the 12th century, Richard the Lionhearted was held hostage by the Duke of Austria. In Richard's case, the ransom exacted by Duke Leopold V nearly bankrupted England, and the extraordinary taxes levied by Richard's younger brother Prince John in order to pay the ransom are legendary.

No comments:

Post a Comment