Thursday, December 5, 2019

2019 - Day 329/36 - Monday...Untoward...

Okay, it is finally here. Today is the blog reconciliation day. This entry says it is day 329, when in reality it is day 339. I posted day 339 on day 329, so today says Day 329 when it is really day 339. Got it? It was a really good day for a couple reasons, too. The day started with some state political challenges, then there was a wrap up from our NAR President Vince Malta, preceded by a pretty witty comedian of some renown (his last name is Mecurio, but I can't think of his first name), and he was really pretty good. The finale was capped by confetti cannons, and not just a little bit of confetti. A LOT OF CONFETTI! I am pretty sure the association lost their cleaning deposit after this, there was confetti EVERYWHERE. During the morning, I received a very nice friend request from someone I went to high school with, Phil. He included a very kind message, and his words were very nice. I shared it with Deborah, and she thought it was lovely, too. Anyway, I will be checking out Phil on his Facebook page in the near future! Then it was off to the office for some power real estate, and then I was off to the Highland Lakes Association of REALTORS® and their Installation Banquet. I love what I do, all of what I do, and I am the luckiest man in the world!

Untoward -- Adjective. 1. difficult to manage or work with. unruly. 2a. marked by trouble or unhappiness. unlucky. b. not favorable or propitious. adverse. 3. improper, indecorous. The auditor did not find anything untoward about the company's financial records.

Did You Know? More than 700 years ago, English speakers began using the word toward for "forward moving" youngsters, the kind who showed promise and were open to listening to their elders. After about 150 years, the use was broadened somewhat to mean simply "docile" or "obliging." The opposite of this toward is froward, meaning "perverse" or "ungovernable." Today, froward has fallen out of common use, and the cooperative sense of toward is downright obsolete, but the newcomer to this series-untoward-has kept its toehold. Untoward first showed up as a synonym of unruly in the 1500s, and it is still used as it was then, though it has since acquired other meanings as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment