Saturday, December 21, 2019

2019 - Day 355/10 - Saturday...Hard-Boiled...

You have to be careful what you say when you are with a crowd of people. I know that because I am always saying stuff that OTHER people are sorry for. I am very seldom sorry for anything that I say, because I know there is no malicious intent. BUT...last Friday (a week ago) when I was having breakfast with some friends in Longview, I mentioned a new crave that I have, Little Debbie Christmas Tree Cakes. I have been stalking HEB in Georgetown for them, and they finally arrived a couple weeks ago. I bought two packages, one chocolate and one vanilla. In my opinion, the chocolate ones taste like chocolate, and the vanilla ones taste like spice cake. Fast forward to yesterday. I got home from the office and there was a box waiting for me. A mysterious package. Six packages of Little Debbie Christmas Cakes, with no notes about who sent them. I have my suspicions, and I texted the (apparent) guilty party (could be parties). There has so far been no confession, but there has been no denial either. Well, at least I know where I will be having desserts for the foreseeable future!

Hard-Boiled -- Adjective. 1. devoid of sentimentality. tough. 2. hardheaded, practical. "Gene Hackman, as the hard-boiled cop Popeye Doyle, has been taken off his big drug-dealer case, and he's heading home to his Brooklyn apartment dejected." Tom Breihan, Deadspin, April 16, 2015

Did You Know? As a writer of local color, Mark Twain often used colloquialisms and regionalisms that were unfamiliar to many of his readers. For example, he is credited with the first printed use of blow up ("to lose self-control") in 1871, of slop ("effusive sentimentality") in 1866, and of the phrase sweat out ("to endure or wait through the course of") in 1876. Hard-boiled is documented as being first used by Twain in 1886 as an adjective meaning "hardened." Apparently, Twain and others saw the boiling of an egg to harden the white and yolk as a metaphor for emotional hardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment