Friday, December 6, 2019

2019 - Day 340/25 - Friday...Quiescent...

I cannot be around these people (there are a few missing, and I HOPE they know who they are) without breaking out in uncontrollable laughter. We all work our collective butts off (I still have a ways to go), but we also know what our jobs are and we make sure we get our jobs done. AND we have each others backs (butts?), and make sure we just do what needs to be done. And then there is the laughing parts. The past year has been a laugh riot for me. These people all make me see the joy in life, the joy in hard work, the joy in volunteer servitude, the joy in nurturing and helping others, the joy in setting and achieving high standards and even higher goals. These people just give me joy. I could not be who I am at this juncture of my life without these people. I love these people. All of them. Unconditionally.

Quiescent -- Adjective. 1. marked by inactivity or repose. tranquility at rest. 2. causing no trouble or symptoms. "Measles made a modest comeback around 1990, and then fell quiescent-until the recent outbreak of measles cases at Disneyland." Richard A Epstein, Defining Ideas, February 2, 2015

Did You Know? Quiescent won't cause you any pain, and neither will its synonyms latent, dormant, and potential-at least not immediately. All four words mean "not now showing signs of activity or existence." Latent usually applies to something that has not yet come forth but may emerge and develop, as in "a latent desire for success." Dormant implies a state of inactivity similar to sleep, as in "their passions lay dormant." Potential applies to what may or may not come to be. "A potential disaster" is a typical example. Quiescent, which traces to the Latin quiescere (meaning "to become quiet" or "to rest"), often suggests a temporary cessation of activity, as in "a quiet disease" or "a summer resort quiescent in wintertime."

No comments:

Post a Comment