Thursday, December 19, 2019

2019 - Day 353/12 - Thursday...Heterodox...

It is about that time of the year. This time next week, Christmas will have come and gone, and we will be worrying about something totally different. We have really short term memories. But that is okay, for now, let's just talk about today. I got lots of running around and chores done. This evening, we had our annual office party, and it was really fun. I was not in favor of doing a boat thing on Lady Bird Lake, but (as usual) it was nicer and much more fun than I expected. I am usually the pessimist when it comes to group activities, and I am usually the one that enjoys the whole thing when I am confronted with it. I had nothing to do with the planning, so hats off to Carrie and Tosalyn, always the great coordinators. I think the photo accompanying this journal entry really shows Austin off at a great perspective. Everybody should come visit, but two weeks, that's it. Then you have to go back where you came from! Whatever...

Heterodox -- Adjective. 1. contrary to or different from an acknowledged standard, a traditional form, or an established religion. unorthodox. 2. holding unorthodox opinions or doctrines. "I do not support elite censorship or the suppression of heterodox points of view." Stephen H Schneider, Nature, May 30, 1996

Did You Know? "Orthodoxy...is my doxy-heterodoxy is another man's doxy," quipped 18th-century bishop William Warburton. He was only punning, but it is true that individuals often see other people's ideas as unconventional while regarding their own as beyond reproach. The antonyms orthodox and heterodox developed from the same root, the Greek doxa, which means "opinion." Heterodox derives from doxa plus heter-, a combining form meaning "other" or "different"; orthodoxy pairs doxa with orth-, meaning "correct" or "straight."

No comments:

Post a Comment