Thursday, December 12, 2019

2019 - Day 346/19 - Thursday...Forebear...

Why are you all looking at my shoes? Honestly, I have NEVER been more warmly welcomed than I was today at the Longview Area Association of REALTORS®. I got there early to make sure everything was working for their Installation and Awards Ceremony. The staff was nothing but kind and helpful, and we had a blast. Ultimately, it was great, all the members that attended the function were gracious and welcoming, and it was a great evening. A great association, a great group of colleagues, and there will be great things happening at this association in 2020 and for many years to come. I was surprised at how many people attending the dinner that I knew, and we all had a great time. Disclaimer: They were all looking at my shoes because I was standing on my tippy toes, trying to look tall. Thanks very much for inviting me, I was honored to be there and honored to have been asked!

Forebear -- Noun. ancestor, forefather, also precursor. "Our superstitious forebears used to say: Don't get up on the wrong side of the bed." Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, MA), April 28, 2011

Did You Know? Forebear (also sometimes spelled forbear) was first used by our ancestors in the days of Middle English. Fore- means "coming before," just as in forefather, and -bear means "one that is" (not to be confused with the -bear in the unrelated verb forbear, which comes from the Old English beran, meaning "to bear or carry"). The be- of -bear is from the verb to be (or, more specifically, from been, an old dialect variant of be). The -ar is a form of the suffix -er, which we append to verbs to denote one that performs a specified action. In this case the "action" is simply existing or being-in other words, -bear implies one who is a "be-er." Got it? I always thought it was 'forbearer,' so what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment