Tuesday, December 3, 2019

2019 - Day 337/28 - Tuesday...Saturnine...

Today is my birthday-I am overwhelmed by the number of greetings I have received from my friends and colleagues across the country. AND...it seems that I blinked, and Austin became a big city. Austin is hosting the National Association of REALTORS® RPTC (REALTOR® Party Training Conference). I didn't want to use the word REALTOR® too many times in one sentence, but it seems that I failed in that. Hosting a bunch of REALTORS® for a national conference is a pretty big deal, and I am happy to be a part of it, and happy that we are experiencing such nice weather. And at the same time, I am a year older; on the downhill side of 70, and every now and then I feel it. Not often, but occasionally. When I fall asleep in the big blue chair while the news is on, it makes me think of my dad. That was what he did every night. Fun and fond memories when reflecting back.

Saturnine -- Adjective. 1. born under or influenced by the planet Saturn. 2a. cold and steady in mood. slow to act or change. b. gloomy, surly. c. sardonic. "How evil he looked! The face was saturnine and swarthy, and the sensual lips seemed to be twisted with disdain." Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1890

Did You Know? The gloomy, cynical character of Eeyore from A A Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh tales typifies the personality type the ancient Romans ascribed to individuals born when the planet Saturn was rising in the heavens. Both the name of the planet and today's featured adjective derive from the name of the Roman god of agriculture, who was often depicted as a bent old man with a stern, sluggish, and sullen nature. The Latin name for Saturn was Saturnus, which is assumed to have yielded the word Saturninus (meaning "of Saturn") in Medieval Latin; that form was adapted to create the English saturnine in the 15th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment