Wednesday, December 18, 2019

2019 - Day 352/13 - Wednesday...Disputatious...

This was my buddy this afternoon at the bank drive through. We kind of had a staring contest and the dog won. There was no reward, just the knowledge that the dog could hold a stare without blinking longer than I could. When I drove off, dog a human were still there. I got there after them, and left before them. They must have been doing some real banking, like cashing a check or something. I wouldn't try that if I were you, not at University Federal anyway. They do not really like doing actual stuff for their depositors. It's just not what they do. But now that I have started this, I am just going to stop it right there. Today was an interesting and busy day. Jody had a dental appointment in Austin, so we all (me, Jody and the girl dogs) went in to Austin. I wish they were 1.) smarter than they apparently are or 2.) better leash trained. I had intended to put their harnesses on them, but I could not find them, even after looking in all the more obvious hidey holes. They pull and drag on the leashes, and they end up choking themselves to a state of asphyxiation. I am not kidding. You would think they could put two-and-two together and figure it out, but nope...

Disputatious -- Adjective. 1a. inclined to dispute. b. marked by disputation. 2. provoking debate, controversial. The columnist was known for expressing disputatious and contrarian opinions that rankled readers of all political persuasions.

Did You Know? Disputatious can be used of both people and things. Disputatious people like to provoke arguments or find something to disagree about. In the "things" category, the word can apply to both situations and issues. For example, court trials are disputatious; that is, they are marked buy disputation, or verbal controversy. An issue or matter is disputatious if it provokes controversy. However, if a matter, such as an assertion made by someone, is open to question rather than downright controversial, it's merely disputable. In any case, there's no arguing that both disputatious and its synonym disputative have changed their connotation somewhat from their Latin source, the verb disputare. That word means simply "to discuss."

No comments:

Post a Comment