Tuesday, December 24, 2019

2019 - Day 358/7 - Tuesday...Demulcent...

It was like I was in a time warp, transported back decades ago. There was hardly any traffic today. I went in to the office (had to be there by 8AM), and I made it in about 45 minutes. At about 9:30, I left there to go to Costco (pie run), and there was very little traffic. I guess everybody left for the Holiday, which is totally fine with me. I left the office around 2 o'clock this afternoon, and there was evidence of traffic (there were the usual wrecks), but all in all, not a terribly bad commute. I had some errands to knock out on the way home, so I made it home by about 4:30. All will be calm for a while now, a couple errands in the morning, and then we have been invited to have dinner with Jetta in Austin. Always fun. Merry Christmas to all y'all!

Demulcent -- Adjective. soothing. "Chickweed (Stellaria media) has a demulcent effect on the stomach, which can help to suppress appetite when prepared as tea." Barbara Fahs, Big Island Weekly (Hilo, Hawaii), January 2, 2013

Did You Know? Demulcent derives from the Latin verb demulcere, meaning "to soothe." Demulcere in turn comes from a combination of the prefix de- and mulcere, an earlier verb that also means "to soothe." As an adjective, demulcent often applies to the soothing nature of some medicines, but you can also use it to describe such things as a soothing voice or a soothing demeanor. The noun demulcent is used for a gelatinous or oily substance that is capable of soothing inflamed or abraded mucous membranes and protecting them from further irritation.

No comments:

Post a Comment