Friday, February 27, 2009

Day Fifty Eight...

THE TWENTY SEVENTH OF TWENTY EIGHT THINGS I SEE BETWEEN MY HOUSE AND THE HIGHWAY...in no particular order...

Well, day 27 of this series is also the penultimate entry of the things I see between our house and the highway. Penultimate, penultimate, penultimate. Oh, and I really like 'spell-check' too! I like that word, it has such an air of authority. Whatever... Anyway, this was an interesting exercise for me, at times I thought I would not find enough interesting stuff to share and at other times, I thought there was too much to be crammed into just 28 days. Finally, I got it just right, and I hope someone out there has enjoyed this series. Along the route to the Interstate, there are lots of signs and markers, lots of cattle and horses and goats and mules and fields and manufactured homes and abandoned homes and barns and flags and windmills and rusty stuff and churches and stuff. It is the stuff that I am particularly fond of. Since today is the last official work day of the month, I thought this sign was a fitting one to post. When I get to the Interstate, I have a decision to make. Do I want to go to Austin or do I want to go to Waco? We are pretty much right in the middle of the two from a mileage perspective. I have really not spent very much time in Waco in the 24 years I have lived in central Texas, probably not even 24 hours if I totalled it all up, and I think it is probably well worth a visit to spend some time there. But I always choose the road to Austin, since that is where the business is, and also because I am really predictable. Austin or Waco? Austin is Wacko! Whatever!

We slept with windows open last night and it was still plenty warm. When I got up this morning, I checked the atomic weather clock and it reported 68 degrees...and this is the end of February. SO much for winter. Remember earlier posts where I was complaining about the temperatures below freezing? Well, if this is any indication, get ready for some real complaining when we get to spring and summer. I really am turning into an old man. Pretty soon I won't have anything to talk about except the weather, my operations and the pills I take to try and control my cholesterol. Wanna see my scars?

Pretty much an open calendar for today. I am in the process of helping one set of clients negotiate the terms and conditions of an offer on their house, and I have two other deals working. If everything holds, I should have a pretty good March, with three paychecks. I hope this is a signal of a turn around for the housing market in Austin. If not, I am still lucky to be here, rather than ________ (insert the name of some place you don't care for much). Overall, I still feel like I am about the luckiest person in the world.

On the way in to the office this morning, I noticed the trees are all beginning to bloom out. The red buds and other spring time flowering trees are really popping out, and they have pretty much done it over night, or I just was not really paying that much attention. It was another really warm day today, and there is a cold front coming through tonight, the overnight low is supposed to be in the 40's. And we are supposed to have a freeze overnight on Saturday. Predicted low is supposed to be about 28 degrees, not really terrible, and it will only be below freezing for a few hours, but I hope it does not wreak havoc on all the spring time flowering things. We have been stopping by the roadsides and scooping up jonquils and daffodils. Really nice.

A good day at work, and another week is finished. It is hard to believe it is almost March already. Where do the days go? Speaking of the future, let's talk about the past for a minute. As I sit here and write this, Jody and I are listening to the Classical Pops station on XM radio...we like the satellite radio. But anyway, they are playing the sound track to the 'Lion in Winter' and it is bringing back really nice memories. I have always loved that movie, Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole, and I went to see that film when I was either a junior or a senior in High School. I was with the girl I was seeing, Debi. Boy was I ever a confused kid back then. But I still have always really liked that film and the music. I recently found a photo of Debi and myself, and I had no idea what a tremendously beautiful young woman she was. Exquisite. Anyway...

I cannot really think of any good deeds I did today, but I really think if I tried really hard, I could come up with something. All is well, it is the weekend, and I am a very lucky man. Go tell someone close to you, or far from you for that matter, that you love them and care about them very much. You never know, you might not get another chance to do it. Why should you keep that a secret from someone? No good reason I can think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment