Sunday, February 1, 2009

Day Thirty Two...

Okay, well here we are. We made it through January, and now we are in February of the new administration. Since February is the shortest month of the year, I am going to give this months postings a theme. Twenty-Eight things I see between my house and the highway (the highway in this case being Interstate 35. So here we go...

THE FIRST OF TWENTY EIGHT THINGS I SEE BETWEEN MY HOUSE AND THE HIGHWAY...in no particular order...

This is St.Peter's Lutheran Church at the confluence of FM972 and FM1105 (FM stands for Farm to Market Road, for you out-of-towners in the crowd). This area north of Austin was settled long ago by folks of German descent, and the area still has the flavor of the old ways. This is a really pretty little church (I have not been inside it) and, as you will see throughout this month, there are lots of things in the area that you would not necessarily expect in this rural part of central Texas.

Overnight was another night of temperatures above-freezing, so as far as I am concerned, that was a good thing. Jody and I will go back into Austin this morning and get another load of stuff out of the condo, since our luncheon guests have called in sick. I hope they make a speedy recovery and can make it out to the farm soon! Hopefully, we will be back in the country at a reasonable time, I like to get chores done and out of the way, just in case I find more interesting stuff to do later in the day. I am also contemplating getting my hair cut today, it is time. Generally, hair cutting is done at the end of the month (A/C filters are changed at the beginning of the month). We shall see...

Oh yeah, today is the Super Bowl...hopefully traffic will be light, with all the maniacs in front of their HDTV's and not out on the road when I want to be there. Who is playing? Will the game be interrupted by commercials? How long has this been going on. What sport is it, anyway? Inquiring minds want to know!

Okay, so no haircut today, I will remain shaggy through mid-week I assume. My regular favorite hair cutter at SUPERCUTS (Irene) always works on Sunday, but I am not sure what days she works during the week, so I will need to figure that out. Jody and I got home from Austin, had some lunch, and then he headed off for a nap. I went out and raised one of the Purple Martin houses (the other one needs a bit of surgery before it can be put up). Then I got a couple old cattle water troughs and set the up to make raised vegetable gardens. Of course, that meant we needed to go get some good vegetable soil (we both swear by Miracle Gro) and some other stuff, and we also stopped by one of the garden centers, and all we could find was some broccoli plants. They had cabbage and onions and strawberries and collard greens, but we chose not to get those. We were looking for spinach and lettuce, and it may already be too late in the season, but I will try again tomorrow.

NOW...here is your chore for the evening. Go find your best friend (or better yet, someone you are not that happy with right now) and just sit for a while and have a nice conversation. AND...during the conversation, just close your eyes and open your heart. It will definitely be worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment